There are some Continuing Education opportunities, such as the OAVT Conference, that happen once a year. Others, like online courses or interactive webinars, can be done on your own schedule. The following continuing education opportunities have been reviewed and approved to confirm their applicability for CE for RVTs in accordance with our credit granting policy. The postings displayed on this website are sorted alphabetically for your convenience, and are not in any order of priority or preference by OAVT.
RVTs are encouraged to review this page on a regular basis as new opportunities are posted once approved for CE credits:
Canine Foundations through Georgian College: For registration, course descriptions and dates please visit: http://www.caninefoundations.com/seminars/
1. Animal Control Canine Self Defense (4 CE Credits)
2. Canine Behaviour 101 (4 CE Credits)
3. CEFA: Canine Emergency First Aid (5 CE Credits for a full day)
4. Dog to Dog Aggression Basic (4 CE Credits)
5. Canine Behaviour 102 - Separation Anxiety (4 CE Credits)
6. Canine Behaviour 103 - Resource Guarding (4 CE Credits)
7. Canine Behaviour 104 - Territorial Guarding (4 CE Credits)
8. Canine Behaviour 105- Canine Temperament Assessment (5 CE Credits for day)
9. Canine Attendant Training (5 CE Credits for day)
10. Animal Control Canine Behaviour 101 (4 CE Credits for day)
University of Guelph Ridgetown Campus: Continuing Education Correspondence Course. Worth 10-15 CE credits. Click for more information.
University of Guelph, Equine Veterinary Technician Certificate. Worth 20 CE credits upon completion. Click for more information.
Northern College: Companion Animal Physical Rehabilitation. A graduate one-year certificate program for RVTs in response to emerging animal health care needs. Worth 20 CE credits upon completion of program. Click for more information.
Northern College: Wildlife Rehabilitation. This program will teach students the importance of providing an appropriate environment for a wide range of animals in both short and long term rehabilitation situations from an ecological viewpoint. The program will give students a solid foundation on wildlife rehabilitation knowledge, diagnostic and nursing skills gained through practical experience. Graduates will be able to explore a wide range of career opportunities in both the private and public sectors, including employment in natural resources, zoos, and wildlife parks, avian rehabilitation centers, natural bird sanctuaries, orphanage programs and any small or large animal veterinary clinic that receives injured wild animals.
Worth 20 CE credits upon completion of program. Click for more information.
Large Animal Health and Production at Seneca: This program is the first of its kind in Canada! This specialized program is geared to graduates of veterinary technician/technology programs, and is intended to provide RVTs the specialized husbandry, reproduction, nutrition and business expertise in the large animal and equine veterinary industry. Worth 20 CE credits upon completion of the program. Click for more information.
BOOK A SEMINAR/LUNCH AND LEARN
Lunch and Learn with Ceva: Efficient instrument processing; is your clinic ready? Contact Ceva to schedule a Lunch and Learn with one of their representatives to find out. Pheromones Explained is another Lunch and Learn topic Ceva can present. Call 1-800-510-8864. Each worth 1 CE Credit.
1. 2017 Parasiticide Campaign Training - The tools created will help you develop an adapted parasiticide marketing approach in order to run a successful 2017 Campaign! This 1 hour online program is worth 1 CE credit. To register, visit www.cdmv.com.
2. Communicating Well - What drives the success of the team? Book your lunchtime seminar NOW. Contact Isabelle Nadeau. Worth 2 CE Credits.
3. Inventory Management - This 2-hour lunch and learn workshop will show you ways to efficiently manage your inventory and avoid costly mistakes. To lean more about the Inventory Management presentation or to book a session with a Strategic Advisor call 1-800-668-2368. Worth 2 CE Credits.
4. Senior Wellness Toolbox (Marketing Approach) - CDMV offers you a toolbox focussed on marketing know-how and customer loyalty to run a successful senior wellness campaign this fall. Includes: Five Step Marketing Plan. This one-hour program is worth 1 CE credit.
To register, click on this link: https://www.cdmv.com/en/toolboxes.sn
Compassion Wise presents Seminars for Veterinary Professionals: Debra Rimmer (Masters in Social Work) offers professional support for stress, burnout, compassion fatigue and self care.
Call Debra Rimmer, MSSW, RSM for a complementary 15 minute consultation: (613) 700-0104. For more information check out this link. Worth 1.5 CE credits per seminar.
Dechra Lunch and Learns: each worth 1 CE Credit
FelineHyperthyroidisn: A one hour presentation focused on team training of feline hyperthyroidism.
Canine Hyperadrenocorticism: A one hour presentation focused on team training of canine hyperadrenocorticism.
Otitis Externa: A one hour presentation focused on team training of otitis externa.
To book a Dechra lunch and learn, please email Cheryl Bedford-Buffett: email@example.com
Handling client questions regarding the aftercare of their beloved pets can be a difficult conversation for your team members to deal with. Let Gateway bring in lunch for the team while you learn more about our services, including communal and individual cremations, our accredited facilities, and our wide variety of memorial products.
To book a Gateway Lunch and Learn with one of our Territory Managers, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 1-800-227-6915.
Risk and Insurance Management, brought to you by Investors Group: Earn 2 CE credits as you gain an understanding of how the right insurance coverage may be an essential part of any sound financial plan. Learn what the products cover and the best strategies individuals choose to protect themselves and their families. A minimum of 10 participants is required to run this seminar and spouses are encouraged to attend. Worth 2 CE credits.
For more information or to register for any of these seminars contact Cecilia or Lara toll free: 1- 888-565-9996 ext. 525
Investment Management, brought to you by Investors Group: Earn 2 CE credits while you learn the basics of investment products and the 6 easy principles and practices that have always produced the best long-term returns on your RRSP, TFSA and RESP investments in this 2-hour seminar. A minimum of 10 participants is required to run this seminar and spouses are encouraged to attend. Worth 2 CE credits.
For more information or to register for any of these seminars contact Cecilia or Lara toll free: 1-(888) 565-9996 ext. 525
Veterinary Technician Specialties (VTS)
Thinking about advancing your career and specializing in a certain area of veterinary medicine? Did you know that successful completion of a VTS will earn you 20 to 30 CE credits? To learn more about what specialties are available, visit the NAVTA site.
Further your understanding of the processes, terminology and innovations associated with pet aftercare. Allow us the opportunity to demonstrate how our compassionate staff, unique services and beautiful memorial products have improved the aftercare experience; both for hospital staff and grieving pet owners.
To book a Pets Above Lunch and Learn please email email@example.com or call 1-519-766-9999.
The Social Side of Practice, brought to you by Pets Plus Us:
Book four sessions in either Lunch and Learn or Workshop formats. Led by Dr. Debbie Stoewen DVM, MSW, RSW, PhD.
The four sessions of Module 1 (Veterinary Wellness) cover the following topics:
1. Facilitating Euthanasia Conversations
2. Compassion Fatigue
3. Compassion Satisfaction
4. This is Your Life
Lunch and Learns worth 1 CE credit each. Workshops worth 2 CE credits each. Interactive, two-way conversation webinars can also be arranged. To find out more about this program visit Pets Plus Us, call 1-800-700-3391 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Click here for the Social Side of Practice brochure.
Vetoquinol Lunch and Learn Opportunities: to book, contact your Vetoquinol Territory Manager.
1. Clinic Excellence Program - Provides practical tools to clinic staff engaging them to create an ideal client experience and implement positive changes which will increase revenue. Worth 4 CE credits. (This is a 4 hour in-person program.)
2. Zentonil - A lunch and learn during which the signs of liver disease, free radicals and antioxidants are explained. This lunch and learn also discusses the benefits of zentonil. Worth 1 CE credit.
3. Vetoquinol Care - A lunch and learn to help grow your potential within your practice, through retail product sales and recommendations. The Vetoquinol Care Line is also discussed. Worth 1 CE credit.
4. Merchandising - A lunch and learn to help develop your retail space by providing real and practical tips and tricks, including the "why" and the "how". Worth 1.5 CE credits.
5. Flexadin - A lunch and learn to discuss the joint supplements market, the osteoarthritic overview, and the management of osteoarthritis. The benefits of Flexadin are also discussed. Worth 1 CE credit.
Cattle Hoof Trimming and Care with Vic Daniel. Vic is a professional hoof trimmer, with 30 years of experience. Learn from Vic on the last Thursday and Friday of every month. Located just north of London.
Worth 10 CE credits for two full days. Learn more from his website.
Veterinary Webstore: How to enhance your client relationship - This one-hour online session will discuss the benefits of having an online store, and how to effectively set one up in your practice. Call 1-877-788-5028 to register for this session, or email email@example.com. Worth 1 CE Credit.
Veterinary Webstore: The Next Step - How to set up, market and manage My VetStore. This one hour session can be delivered online OR in-person to your clinic. This session is for My VetStore users. Participants are taught how to manage and market their online store. Call 1-877-788-5028 to register or book a Lunch and Learn, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Worth 1 CE Credit.
Basic Dog Body Language Course: Doggone Safe, the creators of the Be a Tree program, have also created an online course to learn more about understanding and interpreting canine body language. This course might help to prepare you for the delivery of Be a Tree in your community. Worth 2.5 CE Credits.
Click here for more information and to register.
Join the Fear Free Revolution with Dr. Jonathan Bloom: At a time when pet owners are spending more money to give their pet "happy" experiences, many have come to associate the veterinary hospital as a place where fear and anxiety are front and center. The Fear Free initiative promotes easy practice changes that reduce stress and create calm veterinary visits to encourage better healthcare. This 2 hour event is worth 2 CE credits, please contact your Boehringer representative for further details.
Boehringer Ingelheim (Canada) held live webinars in March 2017 which were recorded and are now available to a wider audience. Each contains a quiz at the end. Each worth 1 CE credit.
1. Lessons Learned from Pain Management Research in Dairy Cattle - http://www.boehringer-ingelheim-webinars.ca/#/main
2. Pain Mitigation Following Surgical Castration in Young Beef Calves - http://www.boehringer-ingelheim-webinars.ca/#/main
Cardinal Health Continuing Education Opportunities
These online courses can be found at: http://www.cardinalhealth.com/en/product-solutions/support-services/continuing-education-opportunities.html
- Proper Handling Techniques for Sterilization Wrap and Wrapped OR Trays (0.5 CE credits)
- Sterility Assurance: A Focus on Packaging (0.5 CE credits)
- Wound Drain Systems in Perioperative Nursing (0.5 CE credits)
Hill's Veterinary Nutritional Advocate Program (VNA): sponsored by Hill's Pet Nutrition. This program includes 3 modules. Please visit VNA website for more details. Worth 6 CE credits per module, with a total of 18 CE Credits for completing all 3 modules.
Become a Nutrition Counsellor with Royal Canin
Become an expert in cat and dog nutrition by enrolling in the Royal Canin Knowledge Portal to help meet your patients' precise nutritional needs. Through the comprehensive curriculum, you will earn CE and points by successfully completing modules that can later be redeemed for rewards.
If you are new to the Counsellor Program please contact your Royal Canin Technical Sales Representative to get signed up. Already to sign up?
Visit the Royal Canin Veterinary Portal to start learning. Most modules worth 2 CE credits, but each is different depending on length of time required.
The RVT Journal Quizzes: The RVT Journal is a national publication with four (4) CE articles in each issue. All members of the OAVT are mailed a copy of the Journal each quarter. After reading the articles, log in to your OAVT account to take the quizzes. If you receive passing scores, CE credits will automatically be applied to your CE record. (Worth 1 CE credit per quiz with a passing score).
Want to print a copy of the quizzes before you take them online? You can print the quizzes from inside the member portal.
Vetoquinol - Stress Affects Health and Behaviour: This webcast on stress-related issues in companion animals to better understand the relationship between stress, health and behaviour. Worth 1.5 CE credits.
To view this webcast, visit Vetoquinol's online CE page.
Pet Dentistry and Periodontology Course: In this detailed streaming presentation, Dr. Peter Emily, DDS, Hon. AVDC covers a variety of topics concerning the health issue most commonly witnessed in veterinary practices: dental disease. Dr. Emily provides a comprehensive outline of periodontal disease progression and also stresses the importance of preventative measures including home care and regular dental examinations. Also covered are the aspects involved in treatment through a detailed outline of routine and complicated dental prophylaxis in the veterinary practice. This 1 hour online opportunity is worth 1 CE Credit. Contact your Vetrex representative to book or email email@example.com
Solutions Vet Academy, Become a Master of VetWare!! : Brought to you by CDMV. Learn how to use VetWare to its full potential. Modules average about 25 minutes each.
Worth 2 CE credits for finishing the complete program. Click here for more information and to register.