Rabies Is Real- Digital Promotional Material
Each year the OAVT Rabies Response Program endeavors to educate the public about rabies and rabies prevention. We are excited to be partnering again this year with Hamilton Public Health Services to bring you the OAVT RRP "Rabies is Real" World Rabies Day Campaign!
(The Rabies Is Real Campaign is adapted from a resource produced by the City of Hamilton Public Health Services. Distributed by OAVT Rabies Response Program)
Rabies can be prevented with vaccination. In cases of human exposure, if a vaccine is given before symptoms appear, the disease can be prevented from progressing.
In animals, routine preventative vaccinations for rabies can keep both your pet, family and community safe from rabies by providing immunity to the disease.
In Ontario, under the Health Protection and Promotion Act, Regulation 567, animal owners have a legal obligation to maintain rabies vaccinations for their animals. Dogs, cats and ferrets that are 12 weeks of age or older must be vaccinated. Livestock such as horse, cow, bull, steer, calf, sheep or other livestock are required to be vaccinated unless they only have contact with the people who have care and control of them. Vaccine boosters every one or three years (depending on manufacturers guidelines) are required to maintain immunity levels.
Want to help spread the word that Rabies is Real? Here are some tools and tips to help:
- Print your colour copy of the Rabies is Real Poster and hang it in your animal hospital or shelter!
- Print the Rabies is Real Information Sheet to hand out to members of your community! (upload with map on back)
- Print a copy of the 2017 Positive Rabies In Ontario Map and 2018 Positive Rabies in Ontario Map to post in your animal hospital or shelter!
- Print copies of the Rabies Activity Book so that you can share it with children in your community!
- Download the Baccoon, Skox and Purrpup Facebook Banners here. Feature them during the month of September!
- Visit our Rabies is Real Facebook page where rabies and rabies prevention information will be posted daily. Don't forget to like and share the posts too!
- Share a link to the OAVT Rabies Response Program's Rabies Public Portal web page www.mypetsprotected.org!
- Use the "Rabies Is Real" Facebook frames! Hover over your profile picture and select "update profile picture". Then choose, "Add Frame" and search for "Rabies Is Real Purrpup", "Rabies Is Real Baccoon" or "Rabies Is Real Skox". Then click "Use as profile picture".
- Use the hashtags #RabiesIsReal, #WorldRabiesDay and #MyPetsProtected when you post on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!
The OAVT RRP World Rabies Day Shop Is Open!
Looking for another way to share the message that "Rabies Is Real?" Visit the online OAVT RRP World Rabies Day Shop to find hoodies, T's and bags featuring the Purrpup, Baccoon and Skox!
Rabies Virus Technical Information
Pet Owner Information