Rabies:Vaccinate to Eliminate- Digital Promotional Material
Each year the OAVT Rabies Response Program endeavors to educate the public about rabies and rabies prevention. We are excited to bring you the "Rabies:Vaccinate to Eliminate" Campaign. The campaign resources have been adapted from the Global Alliance for Rabies Control's World Rabies Day resources.
Rabies can be prevented with vaccination. In cases of human exposure, if a vaccine is given before symptoms appear, the disease can be prevented from progressing.
In animals, routine preventative vaccinations for rabies can keep both your pet, family and community safe from rabies by providing immunity to the disease.
In Ontario, under the Health Protection and Promotion Act, Regulation 567, animal owners have a legal obligation to maintain rabies vaccinations for their animals. Dogs, cats and ferrets that are 12 weeks of age or older must be vaccinated. Livestock such as horse, cow, bull, steer, calf, sheep or other livestock are required to be vaccinated unless they only have contact with the people who have care and control of them. Vaccine boosters every one or three years (depending on manufacturers guidelines) are required to maintain immunity levels.
Want to help spread the word that rabies vaccination is important for animals? Here are some tools and tips to help:
- Print your colour copy of the Rabies:Vaccinate to Eliminate cat/dog poster (8.5"x11"), cat/dog poster (11"x17"), horse/dog poster(8.5"x11"), horse/dog poster(11"x17"), and cow poster (8.5"x11"), cow poster (11"x17") and hang it in your animal hospital or shelter!
- Print the 2019 RRP Rabies Info Sheet to hand out to members of your community including clients that visit your animal hospital or shelter!
- Print a copy of the 2018 Positive Rabies in Ontario Map to post in your animal hospital or shelter!
- Print copies of the Rabies Activity Book so that you can share it with children in your community!
- Download the Rabies: Vaccinate to Eliminate Banners featuring the dog/cat, horse/dog and cow and feature them during the month of September on your Facebook page!
- Visit our My Pets Protected Facebook page where rabies and rabies prevention information will be posted daily during the month of September, in recognition of World Rabies Day and the Rabies:Vaccinate to Eliminate campaign, and sporadically throughout the year. Don't forget to like and share the posts too!
- Share a link to the OAVT Rabies Response Program's Rabies Public Portal web page www.mypetsprotected.org!
- Use the hashtags #rabies, #vaccinatetoeliminate #WorldRabiesDay and #MyPetsProtected when you post on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!
The OAVT RRP World Rabies Day Shop Is Open!
Looking for another way to share the message that rabies vaccination is important for animals?" Visit the online OAVT RRP World Rabies Day Shop to find Hoodies, T's and Long Sleeved T's!
Rabies Virus Technical Information
Pet Owner Information